The Ohio Legislature recently passed the Ohio Return To Play Law which addresses responsibilities, education, and protocol regarding concussions. This law is effective April 26, 2013. A general outline of the new law as interpreted by OSYSA can be found by clicking HERE. More detailed procedural information for coaches and leagues can be found by clicking HERE.
Two main prongs of this law include:
1. Distribution of YOUTH SPORTS CONCUSSION INFORMATION SHEET to all parents and guardians; and
2. Mandatory training by all youth coaches. While there are two on-line courses to choose from (either the CDC course or the NFHS course), OSYSA requires the NFHS course for some leagues and events so that course should be your preferred course. Click here for ON-LINE NFHS CONCUSSION TRAINING. See below for registration instructions:
This free on-line course is available through NFHS. You will need to click the “order here” button and complete a brief registration form to take the course. Follow these steps to complete the course:
- Click on the button that says, please login to order. In the window that appears, click Register Now.
- When your registration is complete you may "order" the free concussion course offered along the left hand side of the page. Continue following prompts. Although it may look like you'll be charged for the course, there is no cost.
- Once you've completed "checkout," you'll be able to take the free online course.
- When you've completed and passed the course, you have the option of printing a certificate of completion. MOST LEAGUES REQUIRE A PRINTED CERTIFICATE TO BE MAILED TO THE LEAGUE SO MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS.
Click HERE for more detailed step by step instructions on registering for and taking the NFHS on-line course.
BSA Celtic will keep everyone updated on this new law so come back to this page for more updates.